Monday, February 16, 2009

10 Weeks and Counting

Today marked the beginning of my half-marathon training program. I have spent the last few weeks researching and evaluating training programs in attempts to find one that would fit into my schedule perfectly - not an easy request by any means.

But, I believe I have found a winner, a training program which closely mimics the running schedule I have been keeping for the past few months. There are only three runs per week: speedwork on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday and long run on Sunday. While the pace you are expected to complete these various workouts is faster than most other programs, it allows for such a schedule where you do not have to run every day of the week.

I know myself fairly well by now and I knew a program that required me to run 5-6 days a week wouldn't last very long. The first few weeks would have been fine, but then I would become bored and burned-out. When it comes to working out, I have found I need variety in order to keep me going. With the program I have chosen, I can cross-train 2-3 times a week, which will not only keep me interested, but also place more value on each of the three runs throughout the week.

Today, being Tuesday, was a speedwork day. Unfortunately, both runs on Tuesday and Thursday will have to be on a treadmill, at least until the sun stays up past 5:30 PM. So I completed the prescribed session - 4 x 400m at 6:37 pace with a 2 minute recovery jog in between - during my lunch hour. After the first 400, I wasn't quite positive I would be able to complete the remaining three sprints, but my body settled into the faster pace and I was back at my desk before I knew it.

I am looking forward to the next ten weeks. I am anxious to discover what I will learn about myself both as a runner and an individual. At the end of the ten weeks, I will have not only completed a half-marathon, but I also will have begun the pastry program and the cold months of winter will be a distant thought. I'm happy to have you all along for the ride.

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping you will find the wonderful woman I had a hand in helping raise. Tenacious, objective, and in search of excellence not settling for mediocrity. I cannot wait for Cooperstown, to see you and give you a big "Daddy" hug. Have already located an Irish pub within walking distance of Hall of Fame. Microbrews, YUM! Love You, Daddy-o

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs