Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Pi Day!

DSCN2653


Today is March 14th. 3.14 = pi. And, in baking world, pi = pie!


For my pie, I was hoping to incorporate some of the plump blackberries which have recently graced the shelves at the corner grocery store.


But a monsoon hit Manhattan yesterday and I absolutely refused to go outside and risk being swept away by the rain and wind. This left me to the mercy of whatever I could scrounge from my pantry, the refrigerator and the freezer.


I created an apple-cranberry filling, sweetened by sugar, cinnamon and minced crystallized ginger. Instead of making a traditional 9" pie, half of which would have gone to waste, I created heart-shaped pocket pies.


I plan on serving these after dinner this evening with a scoop of homemade cinnamon ice cream.


Are you whipping up a pie to "celebrate" the day?  What filling did you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs