Monday, April 19, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

DSC_0079 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010


Earlier this week, on the train home from work, I sleepily perused this month's issue of Food & Wine.  Magazine reading is just about the extent of what I have the energy to do after a long shift on my feet.


A recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins caught my eye.  Which is kind of funny, since I hate banana muffins.


I'm not quite sure why I detest banana muffins.  I love bananas and a warm slice of banana bread always reminds me of home.


However, the texture of banana muffins always reminds me of baby food - chunky and a little mealy.  Gross.


But, for some reason, I really wanted to make these muffins.  And I just so happened to have a couple overripe bananas - forgotten in the long days since their promising purchase.


To achieve more of the texture I desired, I was sure to not only mash the bananas, but I also paddled them on the mixer until they were a smooth, creamy consistency.


I also added some whole wheat flour and chopped walnuts to the mix, not only because I felt the flavors would blend nicely with the banana, but also to make them a bit healthier.


Warm swirls of steam escaped the muffin as I opened the center.  The taste was homey and comforting, smooth and tender - like no other banana muffin before.


DSC_0075 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010


I loved having these around this week, when I woke up in the morning and was just too tired to make anything for breakfast.  They provide a tasty, healthy start to my day - with just a bit of sweetness from the chocolate chips.




Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from Food & Wine, May 2010
makes 24

These muffins couldn't be easier to make and are a nice grab-and-go alternative to prepared breakfast foods.  If you have a few extra moments in the morning, refresh the muffins in a 350 degree oven for warm, gooey chocolate chips.

Ingredients
2 cups (about 6) overripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter melted
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup chocolate chips
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling

Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare two 12-cup muffin tins with liners.

In mixing bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add mashed bananas.  Paddle on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about one minute.

Add sugar, melted butters and eggs to bananas.  Paddle until combined.

In medium mixing bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt.  Whisk to combine.

Add dry ingredients to banana mixture.  Paddle until batter is evenly moistened.

Remove batter from mixer and fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tins.  Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if desired.

Bake for until golden and center is set, about 28 minutes.  A toothpick inserted in the center should emerge clean.

Allow to cool 10 minutes in tins.  Remove from muffin tins and allow to cool completely.  Store in airtight container.

4 comments:

  1. These muffins look scrumptious. I think chocolate and banana go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. VeinoteApril 23, 2010 at 4:21 AM

    Hi Jo! You are so right - the combination of banana and chocolate are so homey and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh the muffins look SO good. I love banana muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. VeinoteApril 27, 2010 at 6:26 AM

    Thanks Emily - I think these would have been super delicous after your race :o)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs