Monday, August 23, 2010

Watermelon-Lime Vodka Granite

DSC_0590

During the summer months, I rarely desire a heavy dessert at the end of any meal.  Instead, a perfectly ripe piece of fruit or a refreshing sorbet seem to be just perfect.

So I guess it goes without saying that I also do not desire to spend a large amount of time in my kitchen creating a dessert during these months.

My kitchen is the size of most walk-in closets and does not benefit from air conditioning.  So creating intricate, delicate or otherwise fussy desserts in the summmer is not exactly an option.

DSC_0550

Enter granite - a quick, simple and fuss-free process yields an icy, refreshing end to any meal.

Using watermelon juice, with a touch of lime juice and a splash of vodka, I was able to create a perfectly summer flavor combination, in less than 5 minutes preparation time.


DSC_0555
DSC_0559DSC_0564
DSC_0566

Watermelon-Lime Vodka Granite
from Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote
prepartion time 5 minutes | total time 4 hours
serves 4

Ingredients
2 cups watermelon, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
3 tablespoons vodka

Preparation Instructions
Place watermelon in food processor or blender.  Process until juice is created.  Pour juice through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup.

Whisk lime juice and vodka into watermelon juice.

Pour juice into flat bottomed dish, such as a 9 x 9 glass Pyrex dish.

Freeze, scraping occasionally with a fork for finer crystals or just before serving for larger crystals.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this out! A lot of the recipes I've seen for watermelon granita have a lot of sugar. This looks more up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs