Monday, May 17, 2010

Chocolate Chip Scones

DSC_0209

I slept fitfully Sunday night, never more than 20 minutes passed between my eyes shutting peacefully and being startled awake by some thought springing them back open.


As of recently, I have a lot on my mind.  I feel as though I am desperately trying to stay motivated, trying to stay positive, trying to hold all the pieces together.


It's hard work.  It's exhausting.  And I am not entirely sure I am succeeding at my efforts.


By 5:30 AM, I gave up on sleep all together.  My mind, along with my heart, would not stop racing.  So, I shuffled quietly into the living room, poured a steaming cup of coffee and sunk into the soft, leather of the couch with a new book in tow.


The world outside my window was dewy and silent.  Too early even for the cab drivers to fill the air with their endless honking.


As I sat there, clutching my knees to my chest, reading as the sun began to stream through the dark, wooden blinds, I decided a crispy, hot scone would pair quite lovely with my coffee.


And I figured if I incorporated chocolate chips, Mike might take a few extra lingering moments to enjoy a rare, hot breakfast before the beginnings of another long week.



[print_this]Chocolate Chip Scones
from Allison M. Veinote
makes 8

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
Sliced almonds, for topping
Turbinado sugar, for topping

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray a scone pan or line a baking sheet with SilPat or parchment.

Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl.  Whisk to combine.  Chill.


Cut butter into small cubes.  Chill.


Rub butter into the flour mixture by gently flattening butter cubes between fingers.  Gently fold flattened butter into drry ingredients.  Stir in chocolate chips.


In a small bowl, whisk egg and cream together.  Add to dry ingredients.  Using a fork or pastry cutter, combine the dough.  It will form large clumps.


Turn out dough on well-floured work surface.  Using your hands and a rolling pin, work the dough together into a square.  A bench scrapper will be helpful for turing the dough during the process.


When you have achieved your desired thickness, using a bench scrapper or knife, cut dough into 8 equal triangles.


Sprinkle with sliced almonds and turbinado sugar, pressing toppings lightly into the dough.


Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, until golden brown.  Allow to cool on baking rack.


Scones are best fresh from the oven, but will keep up to 2 days in an airtight container.  Rewarm scones in 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes before serving.



[/print_this]

4 comments:

  1. i found your site through tastespotting... and i'm so glad i did. your writing is lovely with beautiful pictures and great looking recipes. i will be making these scones first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. VeinoteMay 24, 2010 at 4:33 AM

    Hi Bella! I'm so glad you stopped by, thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this! I was looking for a recipe with sliced sugared almonds baked on top and stumbled across this one. I actually made these with fresh blueberries instead and they were amazing. Exactly what a scone should be! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. VeinoteJuly 19, 2010 at 8:46 PM

    Emily, I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe! And blueberries sound wonderful - our farmer's market is overflowing with them, but I expect for not too much longer!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs