Sunday, May 16, 2010

Flour Tortillas

DSC_0347 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010

Making my own tortillas was not something that ever registered as a possibility or, for that matter, a necessity.


While I have played extensively with the components of fajitas or soft tacos over the past couple years, the tortillas were always an afterthought. The only component shoved into my grocery basket, in it's prepackaged plastic, without any care or concern.


But, somehow, when Cinqo de Mayo rolled around earlier this month, I was craving a meaty, juicy fajita wrapped in the best tortilla I had never made.


My work schedule left me helplessly craving this creation through long, endless shifts. So, it took me a few extra days, but I finally ventured into my kitchen, ready to take on a task bigger than just filling my coffee mug.


Armed with the most basic of ingredients - flour, salt, butter and hot water - and a visual inspiration by Butter + Cream, I was ready to make my own tortillas for the first time in my entire life.



DSC_0322 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010 DSC_0331 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010

DSC_0332 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010

DSC_0333 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010 DSC_0339 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010

DSC_0344 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010

DSC_0345 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010 DSC_0348 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010

DSC_0347 © Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. Veinote, 2010

The oh-so-simple ingredients and preparation yielded the homiest, flavorful tortilla I have ever tasted. Hot off the griddle and amazingly delicious, even before any other ingredients were neatly piled in the middle.


I wrapped the hot tortillas in a warm cloth, packaged up the other additions and ventured to midtown to share a belated Cinqo de Mayo picnic lunch with Mike, who instantly fell in love with the newest addition to my recipes.


Before the meal was even close to complete, we were already discussing the unseen benefits of making your own tortillas - ability to control size and thickness - and I was dreaming of other flavor combinations for the future.



[print_this]Flour Tortillas
adapted from Butter + Cream
makes 7 large tortillas or 10 medium tortillas

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon table salt
3 tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 to 1 cup water, boiling

Preparation Instructions
Place flour and salt into medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.

Rub butter into dry ingredients until the mixture resembles small peas.

Stirring with a wooden spoon, pour boiling water into flour mixture, a little at a time, until a ball of dough is created.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Wrap ball in plastic wrap and allow to rest on counter for 30 minutes.

Place skillet over medium heat. Divide dough into equal sized pieces. Keep pieces under slightly damp towel until ready to roll.

On a slightly floured surface, roll piece into a thin circle. Place on skillet and cook 20-30 second per side, until puffed and flecked with brown spots. Keep cooked tortilla in a a warm, slightly damp cloth.

Repeat with remaining dough. Serve immediately.[/print_this]

4 comments:

  1. If I may be so bold as to suggest a little something that might enhance this recipe? Try finely grating the zest of 2-3 Key Limes and 4-5 sundried tomatoes and incorporating this into your tortillas. Great as tortillas or wraps. Some thinly sliced marinated flank steak and fresh Pico de Gallo washed with a Key Lime margherita. Ooohhh so good. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed these as much as I did! I swear I could eat homemade tortillas every day and never get sick of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce Philbrick( Grammie)May 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM

    oops sorry MOUTH watering

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce Philbrick( Grammie)May 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM

    I can harldy wait to try them as they look moth watering
    Thanks with love

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs