Saturday, February 27, 2010

Test Recipe: Workout Granola

Workout GranolaThis test recipe is not one which has been sitting around in my recipe book or in a magazine on the shelf, patiently waiting it's turn to be created in my little kitchen.


Instead, it is one that I developed by myself, using some proportions from my basic granola recipe and some ingredient inspiration from a newly developed granola during my externship.


I wanted to create a granola that was packed with protein to help fuel our long days, Mike's endless studying, our Crossfit and running workouts.  I wanted something that could be consumed quickly, at a desk or on-the-go, and would pack a healthy punch.  I wanted a granola that could stave off crankiness after a long day of work, but still facing an evening of things to do.


This is actually the second test of this recipe.  The first one ended, well, terriblely.  My proportions for the liquid ingredients were a lot-a-bit off.  Ten minutes after putting the mixture in the oven, the granola was swimming in a pool of honey and olive oil.  Into the garbage and back to the drawing board.


This second attempt ended much better.



Note: The photos below show me making a half-recipe of the one I have posted below.


First, I begin by slicing the almonds into thirds.  Obsessive?  Yes.  Necessary?  No.  You can completely skip this if you want.  But Mike and I always seem to pick the whole almonds out of granola, leaving just the oats for the other.Almonds


I grab the flax seeds out of my refrigerator.  If you haven't seen flax seeds before, they are very tiny.  You also get way more in the package than you will ever use.  And they can become rancid pretty quickly, hense the storing in the refrigerator.Flax Seeds


Now it's time to combine the dry ingredients for the granola.  Old-fashioned oats, dark brown sugar, shredded coconut, almonds, flax seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt get piled together in a mixing bowl.Granola: Dry


I stir them together with a spatula...Granola, clumpy


...but sometimes the brown sugar likes to clump up.  So I just use my hands to break up these little clumps and distribute the sugar evenly through the mixture.


DSCN2101 DSCN2102


Now I spray my small measuring cup with Pam and measure in the honey.DSCN2106


Then I measure the olive oil right on top of the honey.  I also add the vanilla.  I pour the liquid ingredients into the oat mixture.DSCN2107


And stir them together.


Then I spread them on a baking sheet lined with my trusty SilPat...DSCN2111


...and pop it into a 325 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.  About halfway through, I like to stir the granola, just to ensure everything is baking evenly.


While the granola is baking, I put together the nut mixture that will be added at the end.  This mixture will only need about 10 minutes in the oven, which is why it is baked seperately.


The soynuts, sunflower seeds, cinnamon and table salt get measured into a small mixing bowl...DSCN2113


...and then stirred together.  I measure the honey and olive oil together and then add it to the nut mixture.DSCN2114


I spread this on another baking sheet lined with a SilPat.DSCN2115


When your granola has finished baking, it should be golden and crispy.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool.DSCN2117


Bake the nut mixture for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.DSCN2121


When the granola is cool, transfer into a clean mixing bowl.  While the nut mixture is still warm, add to the granola and stir to combine.DSCN2123


When the granola is cool, place into airtight container to ensure freshness.  This granola is wonderful by itself, but would also be yummy sprinkled on a plain greek-strained yogurt (I like Fage 0%) as a healthy afternoon snack.


Workout Granola




2 cups (188 grams) old-fashioned oats


1/4 cup (60 grams) dark brown sugar


1/4 cup (22 grams) sweetened, shredded coconut


1/2 cup (76 grams) unsalted almonds, cut into thirds


1/4 cup (40 grams) flax seeds


1 teaspoon cinnamon


1/2 teaspoon nutmeg


1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


1/4 cup (80 grams) honey


1/4 cup (44 grams) olive oil


1 teaspoon vanilla extract




1/2 cup (54 grams) roasted soynuts


1/2 cup (68 grams) roasted sunflower seeds


1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


1/8 teaspoon table salt


1 tablespoon (20 grams) honey


1 tablespoon (11 grams) olive oil




Preheat oven to 325 degrees.




Combine oats, brown sugar, coconut, almonds, flax seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in large mixing bowl.  Stir with spatula and, if necessary, use hands to break-up large pieces of the brown sugar.




Combine honey, olive oil and vanilla.  Pour over oat mixture.




Stir the mixtures together.  Be sure dry ingredients are evenly coated by the honey mixture.




Spread on baking sheet lined with parchment or Silpat.




Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring about halfway through.  To test for doneness, place a small cluster of granola on counter and allow to cool about one minute.  It should taste crunchy.




Remove oat mixture from oven and allow to cool.  Stir a few times during cooling.  When cool, transfer into clean mixing bowl.




Combine soynuts, sunflower seeds, cinnamon and table salt in small mixing bowl.  Stir.




Measure honey and olive oil; add to nut mixture.  Stir to combine.




Spread on baking sheet lined with parchment or Silpat.




Bake for 10 minutes.




Remove nut mixture from oven and allow to cool slightly.




While nut mixture is still warm, place in mixing bowl with oat mixture.  Stir to combine.




When granola has cooled, place in airtight container.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yummy looking and bet it can pack a punch when you need it the most.
    Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ali, This looks great! Mark loves granola on his yogurt. I am allergic to tree nuts. Any suggestions for a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolcetto Confections | Allison M. VeinoteFebruary 28, 2010 at 9:43 AM

    Hi Kathie! As a substitue for the the almonds in the recipe, I would use an equal amount of roasted pumpkin seeds. I would also replace the shredded coconut with dried fruits. Raisins, dried cranberries, dried bluberries or even dried apricots, which I would cut into quarters, are wonderful additions to a granola. This would also replace the bit of sweetness you would be losing from coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best tasting granola EVER! I have tried but just can't make it as yummy as Allie can. It is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs