Monday, January 3, 2011

Homemade Muesli

DSC_0114

At the beginning of a new year, I ponder just how many people resolve to lose weight. Start exercising! Exercise more! Eat less! Eat healthier!

After college, I lost weight consumed by mug fulls of beer at the local bar and for two glorious years, I did not resolve to lose one pound. I loved running, rarely missed a day at the gym, and packed healthy meals for work each day. The pounds slipped off and stayed off.

The problem arose when I left the comfort and schedule of my office job. Suddenly, food surrounded me all the time, every cookie promising to comfort my stress and worries. Ten pounds later, the stress remained alongside the jeans I could no longer fit into.

So I imagine I joined the majority of Americans this year in vowing to readjust my diet and exercise routines. However, I must also be realistic - in my chosen career path, food will always be readily available and stress will always be plentiful. My indulgences are wine and dessert and I adamantly refuse to give these up.

Since I am already approaching shedding of these stubborn pounds with a resistant attitude, I know I am going to have to make adjustments elsewhere.




Breakfast offers a perfect starting point. I have never been able to entirely skip the first meal of the day - I am fairly active and in resuming my exercise routine, my body will will require more than a bland, grey bowl of oatmeal. Otherwise, I will be eating cookie dough by the afternoon.

Enter this homemade muesli: a filling breakfast bowl, packed with protein, healthy fats, and just a hint of sweetness. The oats and dried cranberries soak in the apple cider overnight, so it is a snap to combine the ingredients in the morning, even before your first sip of coffee.

This balanced breakfast keeps my hunger at bay well into the afternoon, meaning I am fueled for my activities and my diet is on a healthy track for the remainder of the day.

Homemade Muesli
makes 1 serving

This protein-pack breakfast is a perfect beginning to your day. You can adjust the components and amounts to perfectly suit your tastes. I find it helpful to toast a week's worth of almonds at one time, at 350°F for 10 minutes, and store them in an airtight container. Be sure to save the remainder of your apple for a healthy afternoon snack.

Ingredients
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Quaker Quick Oats
1/4 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
3 ounces greek-strained yogurt, such as Fage 0%
1/4 fuji apple, grated
2 tablespoons whole almonds, toasted
Handfull of blackberries

Preparation Instructions
The night before: Stir together oats, apple cider, and dried cranberries in a small container. Refrigerate overnight.

For serving: Place prepared oats in an individual serving bowl. Top with yogurt, grated apple, toasted almonds, and blackberries.

8 comments:

  1. Oats are one of my favourite breakfasts! Muesli is right up my alley. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm What a great way to make the morning Groovy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. new to your blog and i absolutely love it! i can't wait to try out someof your recipes here in my tiny italian kitchen!
    xoxo,
    marissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jessica: Nothing like a healthy start to the day! Happy 2011!

    @LimeCake: If you like oats, you will quickly become addicted to this! Happy New Year to you!

    @KZ: I will think of your "groovy" comment each morning!

    @the boot: Welcome! I'm so glad you stumbled here - I look forward to looking through your blog as well! Somehow a tiny Italian kitchen sounds more exciting than my tiny Manhattan kitchen :o) XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have been looking for a great museli recipe and am so glad i came across your blog today! thanks for this, and can't wait to read posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Evi: I'm so glad you stumbled here and found something to your liking! Us poli sci majors need our energy in the morning :o)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs