Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate

DSC_0050

Every year, about three weeks into the month of January, I start dreaming of beaches, sand, bikinis, warm sunshine, and margaritas. I shut my eyes tightly and plead to be transported somewhere, anywhere, warmer than here. These next three months, the long weeks between the bustle of the holidays and fluttering down the sidewalk in a cute sundress, toughen up us New Yorkers. Or at least it toughens up those of us who have migrated from warmer climates.

Mother nature has thrown us an especially harsh winter this year - an endless stream of storms coupled with unyielding frigid temperatures. This type of cold seeps deeply into your bones, only melting away by tucking yourself tightly under a down comforter and cupping a steaming cup of homemade hot chocolate. As each sip passes my lips, it warms me from head to toe, and I am one sip closer to the warmer days ahead.


DSC_0051

Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
adapted from Martha Stewart Living, February 2011
active time 5 minutes
total time 10 minutes
makes 4 servings

This recipe is the perfect cure for the winter blues - not only a vessel of warm, thick liquid, but also boasting the irresistible combination of chocolate and peanut butter. I replace the whole milk and cream with skim milk, allowing the richness of the chocolate and the peanut butter to ring through. This substitution also provides the perfect recovery drink for runners returning from a long, cold winter run.

Ingredients
2 cups skim milk
1½ ounces bittersweet chocolate
1½ ounces milk chocolate
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks, for serving

Preparation Instructions
In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm milk until it just begins to simmer and bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Whisk in chocolates and peanut butter until melted and smooth. Cover and continue warming over low heat until warm. For a thicker cup of cocoa, simmer hot chocolate uncovered until desired thickness is achieved. Ladle hot chocolate into individual mugs and top a dollop of whipped cream.

10 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw Chocolate and peanut butter on food gawker I knew I had to come and see! Looks delicious, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard about this recipe from someone else, and it does indeed look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite flavor combo in one hot cup! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Wilde in the Kitchen: The same combination gets me every time too! I think you'll enjoy this!

    @Allison: Happy to help - hope you enjoy it!

    @foodies at home: Mine too, one of my new favorite types of hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy!!! We'd love for you to share this recipe at dishfolio.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lacey: Thank you so much for reminding me about Dishfolio.com! I just registerd and submitted this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I love peanut butter cups and this would be like drinking them melted. Yum. I have a linky party on my blog every Saturday called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks amazing! I've been craving hot chocolate recently.

    My husband and I are on a detox right now, but we were talking last night (in the middle of a snowstorm), discussing what we wanted to enjoy first when we're done. Wine? Maybe. Hot chocolate? Yes. Hot chocolate with peanut butter? Absolutely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boyfriend is freakishly excited over this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I tried the recipe, it was quite a big hit. Anything with chocolate and PB can't possibly go wrong :)

    Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs