Friday, January 21, 2011

Kale Chips

DSC_0271

I know what you are thinking. I can hear the tone of disgust in your thoughts. Kale chips? Really?!

I know, I know. For two years, I adamantly refused to create these chips, knowing there was no way they could replace the love I felt for a perfectly crisp kettle-cooked potato chip. But not too far into the new year, I grew tired of the bland, boring dinner salad and started hankering crunchy, salty chips to accompany our sandwiches. Knowing I would have zero self-control once the bag was opened, I unwillingly opted to pick-up a bunch of kale and give this recipe an honest try.

DSC_0212_0218DSC_0221_0225

But that was far from the biggest hurdle I would need to clear. Mike returned home from work just as I was placing the green leaves, glistening with olive oil, into our small oven. Upon being informed of what these leaves would become and, yes he would be expected to at least try one, he started sulking and glaring at the oven.

DSC_0226_0233DSC_0236_0254

After 30 minutes, I placed the crisp, crunchy leaves on our square appetizer plates, the dark green popping against the stark whiteness. Having already tested one of the chips and knowing they would not in fact kill him, I watched in amusement as Mike gingerly lifted one single chip to his pursed lips. Crunch. The blue eyes of my meat-and-potatoes loving, “I’ll have a side of bacon with my bacon” boyfriend went wide. “Delicious!” he exclaimed.

So - doubt me, sputter insults at me under your breath, glare at the oven door as they bake, but make these chips. Just give them a try. These chips are madly addictive, it should be impossible for something so delicious to actually be good for you.

DSC_0261_0262DSC_0260_0271

Kale Chips
active time 5 minutes
total time 35 minutes

These chips are a perfect, healthy alternative to a bag of potato chips. Their salty crispness would pair perfectly with before-dinner cocktails.

Ingredients
1 bunch green kale, rinsed and dried
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Fleur de Sel

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cut kale leaves in half lengthwise, discarding thick center stems and chopping leaves into bite sized pieces. Toss chopped kale leaves with olive oil, then place leaves in one single layer on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle leaves with fleur de sel.

Bake for 30 minutes, until crisp all the way through. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. "... a side of bacon with my bacon" - love it!
    If these get by my fellow baconivores and kettle-cooked potato chippites like myself, they must be tried. (thanks for posting)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe myself but they sound delicious and will try them.
    Either you are a good salesperson or they really are delicious.
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! i'm so looking forward to trying this. my boyfriend is the same 'side of bacon w/ my bacon' kind of guy!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs